- 1 large sweet potato cut into a 1/2-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- Half red sweet pepper, chopped ( 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15 ounce can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Juice of a lime
- 24 empanada wrappers, thawed, (4 1/2-inch diameter)
- 1 egg
1. Place sweet potatoes in a covered steamer basket set over boiling water. Steam for 10 minutes; set aside.
2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt, Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sweet potato, black beans, and corn, and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and cup water to moisten. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place an empanada wrapper on baking sheet and spoon 2 generous tablespoons of the filling onto one half. Fold wrapper over the filling and press gently to seal. Crimp with a fork. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush tops of empanadas with the egg wash. Bake until golden and warmed through, about 18 minutes. Empanadas can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. To pack, wrap in foil or place in an airtight container.
Tip Tweak It For You
- For more heat, divide the black bean and sweet potato mixture in half. Add 2 tsp. minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to one portion. Crimp the empanadas differently so you can remember which ones are spicy!
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 266, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 16, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 44, Monounsaturated fat (g): 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 6, pro. (g): 9, vit. A (IU): 3315, vit. C (mg): 12, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): , Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 15, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 304, Potassium (mg): 290, calcium (mg): 35, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.