Prep 20 mins Slow Cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours Cook 2 mins
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 3/4 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried fruit bits
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- 1/2 chopped peanuts
1. Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place onion and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Season beef with 1/2 tsp of the salt, the cinnamon and cayenne; place over onion. Scatter sweet potatoes and fruit bits over top; add tomatoes and 1 cup of the broth.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
4. Pour liquid from slow cooker into a small saucepan and bring to simmer. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup broth and stir into saucepan. Simmer for 2 minutes, until thickened. Add remaining 1/2 tsp salt and stir mixture back into slow cooker.
5. Serve stew with cooked couscous and sprinkle each serving with peanuts.
Tip For easy cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 538, Fat, total (g): 12, chol. (mg): 56, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 67, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 38, sodium (mg): 719, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.