Try this update of old-fashioned bread stuffing by adding sweet Italian sausage and mushrooms. This dish is the highlight of any holiday table.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage and crumble into skillet. Cook 7 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove sausage from skillet with a slotted spoon.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to skillet. When melted, add mushrooms to pan and cook 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a large bowl.
4. Melt remaining butter in pan. Add celery and onion; cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in raisins, parsley and sage and cool for 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with mushrooms. Add sausage, celery mixture, cubed bread and chicken broth, stirring well.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes or until lightly browned on top.