1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups or coat each with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Place the bran cereal in a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over it and stir to moisten; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
4. Add the buttermilk, egg, molasses, and canola oil to the bran cereal mixture. Stir to combine. Stir in the flour mixture until combined.
5. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake until the tops are springy and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove and let muffins cool completely on a rack.
6. Using a small knife cut a strawberry-shaped chunk from each muffin, starting at the top and center of each; set piece aside. Insert a strawberry into each muffin and replace the muffin piece, pressing down. Spread a little jam over each muffin.