Prep 25 mins Slow Cook 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high); plus 50 minutes (high)
- 3 cups peeled butternut or acorn squash cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 9 ounce package frozen Italian green beans or frozen cut green beans
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine squash, mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, Great Northern beans, the water, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. For Dumplings:
3. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, parsley, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined.
4. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir frozen green beans into stew. Drop the dumpling dough into six mounds on top of the stew. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook for 50 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.)
Tip For Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 288, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 37, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 45, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 12, sodium (mg): 442, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.