Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sweet green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 jalapeno chiles, finely chopped (with seeds)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 box (10 ounces) plain couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers, jalapenos and garlic; saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, water, brown sugar, cumin, cinnamon, and salt, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add sweet potatoes and beans. Cover; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 40 minutes.
3. About 5 minutes before stew is finished cooking, prepare couscous according to package directions.
4. To serve, spoon stew over couscous. Sprinkle with cilantro. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 419, Fat, total (g): 5, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 82, fiber (g): 9, pro. (g): 11, sodium (mg): 614, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.