Give kids your stamp of approval with these chatty treats.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. Place butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, cream until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and sour cream and mix until combined.
3. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet and mix until well-incorporated, being careful not to overmix. Refrigerate batter for about 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Put remaining 1/4 cup of sugar into a bowl. Remove cookie dough from refrigerator. Roll a heaping teaspoonful of dough in your hands until a ball forms. Roll the ball in the sugar. Place on prepared cookie sheet and press down slightly with your palm.
6. Bake cookies in the preheated oven until cookies just turn golden brown around the edges, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the sheet for 2 or 3 minutes. Then, using a spatula, carefully transfer warm cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
7. Once cookies have cooled, use a cotton swab or paintbrush to dab red food coloring on the letter part of your stamps and stamp your message onto the cookies.