Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 56 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 3/4 lbs), peeled, seeded and diced (5 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can light and fat-free chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 1/2 cups small brown or French green lentils, picked through
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook 5 minutes. Add squash and season with chili powder and ground cumin. Cook 1 minute.
2. Stir in broth, tomatoes, 1/2 cup water and lentils. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and stir in salt. Simmer, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
- Fiber-rich butternut squash boasts folate and potassium; heart-protecting carotenoids lend it a bright orange color.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 361, Fat, total (g): 8, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 62, fiber (g): 20, pro. (g): 17, sodium (mg): 795, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.