Filling and frosting the orange sponge cake with low-fat whipped topping, turns this cake roll into a low-calorie dessert. The luscious orange and cream combination satisfies both dieters and non-dieters.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment or waxed paper. Lightly coat paper with spray.Cake:
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl.
3. Beat egg whites in medium-size bowl on high speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms stiff, not dry, peaks.
4. Beat yolks and rind in large bowl until fluffy. Gently fold in 1/2 cup beaten whites. Fold in remaining whites alternately along with flour mixture in 2 more additions. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
5. Bake in 400 degrees F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden and top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
6. Loosen cake around edges with small spatula. Invert pan carefully onto paper toweling or clean kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar. Peel off paper. Starting at a short end, roll up cake and towel together; place, seam side down, on rack; let cool.Filling:
7. Fold together whipped topping and orange extract in medium-size bowl just until extract is blended in. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Stir chopped orange into larger portion remaining in bowl.
8. Unroll cooled cake. Spread cake evenly with filling. Reroll from short end, using towel as a guide. Spread reserved 1 cup whipped topping mixture over cake roll. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with orange slices and mint, if desired.