Servings: 10 Yield: 10 empanadas Active Time 45 mins Total Time 1 hr 45 mins
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled and seeded butternut squash
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Flaky sea salt
- 1 recipe Basic Empanada Dough
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl combine cumin, salt, cinnamon, and pepper. Place squash, onion, fennel, and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Toss to coat. Bake about 25 minutes or until squash is tender. Coarsely mash with a potato masher or a fork. Stir in parsley. Let cool. Fill as directed in the Basic Empanada Dough recipe. Sprinkle empanadas with pepitas and flaky sea salt before baking as directed in Basic Empanada Dough recipe.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 10; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 347, Fat, total (g): 19, chol. (mg): 63, sat. fat (g): 8, carb. (g): 37, Monounsaturated fat (g): 7, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 3, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 4, sugar (g): 4, pro. (g): 9, vit. A (IU): 7965, vit. C (mg): 18, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 95, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 702, Potassium (mg): 492, calcium (mg): 81, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.