- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup French green lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for the pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1 pound box spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Fresh basil, for topping
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the tomato paste.
2. Stir in 3 cups water and the lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer, covered, for 35 minutes or until lentils are nearly tender. Stir in the tomatoes, 1 cup water, the salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti to the boiling water and cook according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
4. Add the sauce to the pot with the pasta. Stir to combine. Serve topped with Parmesan and basil.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 477, Fat, total (g): 4, chol. (mg): 1, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 91, Monounsaturated fat (g): 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 9, sugar (g): 12, pro. (g): 20, vit. A (IU): 4371, vit. C (mg): 24, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 161, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 864, Potassium (mg): 369, calcium (mg): 42, iron (mg): 6, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.