- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups weekend-prepped onions and peppers
- 2 cups weekend-prepped barley
- 1 15 ounce can low sodium black beans
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup weekend-prepped root vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup choppd fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, quartered
1. In a large pot bring vegetable broth, onions and peppers, barley, black beans, tomatoes, root vegetables, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
2. Garnish with cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges. Weekend-prepped onions and peppers
3. Halve and seed 3 green and/or red bell peppers, cut 2 yellow onions into wedges and spread on a baking sheet lined with foil. Toss with 2 tsp. olive oil and 1/8 tsp. salt. Roast at 425 degrees F until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Slice pepper halves. Refrigerate up to 5 days. Weekend-prepped barley
4. Cook 9 oz. regular pearled barley according to package directions. Drain and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Weekend-prepped root vegetables
5. Cut 2 carrots, 1 parsnip, and 1 sweet potato into 1/2-inch chunks and spread on a baking sheet. Toss veggies with 2 tsp olive oil and 1/8 tsp. salt.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 327, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 15, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 54, Monounsaturated fat (g): 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 12, sugar (g): 9, pro. (g): 12, vit. A (IU): 7008, vit. C (mg): 53, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 36, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 665, Potassium (mg): 641, calcium (mg): 212, iron (mg): 4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.