Servings: 8 Prep 20 mins Bake 350°F 30 mins Cook 45 mins
- 1 butternut, acorn or other winter squash (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes (about 1 pound), skinned, seeded and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- Bouquet garni (6 sprigs fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, tied in cheesecloth bag)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half OR milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Thyme sprigs and diced tomato, for garnish
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place whole squash in roasting pan with 1 inch of water.
3. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 30 minutes. Cool in cold water. Quarter squash; remove seeds; peel. Cut into chunks.
4. Heat butter in 4-quart pot. Add onion; cook 3 minutes, until glazed. Add squash, tomatoes, celery and carrots; cook 5 minutes. Add broth, cider, bouquet garni, bay leaf, ginger and cumin. Cover; simmer for 35 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Discard bouquet garni and bay leaf.
5. Working in batches, puree soup in blender or food processor. Pour back into pot. Add half-and-half, salt and pepper. Serve hot. Garnish.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 187, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 27, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 21, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 4, sodium (mg): 1120, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.