Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion,chopped
- 1 small white potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 6 large tomatoes (about 1/2 pound each), peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 13 1/2 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (2 ears, shucked and kernels cut off cobs)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 pound imitation crabmeat
- 3 dashes liquid hot red-pepper sauce, or to taste
1. Heat oil in large nonaluminum saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; reduce heat to medium; saute 5 minutes or until onion is slightly softened. Add potato and fennel seeds; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, half the corn and the thyme. Bring to boiling. Reduce the heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Puree in food processor or blender, working in batches if necessary. Return to pot.
4. Stir in the cream, the remaining corn and the imitation crabmeat. Gently reheat the soup; do not let boil. Stir in the hot-pepper sauce to taste. Serve the soup warm. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 243, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 41, sat. fat (g): 5, carb. (g): 25, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 10, sodium (mg): 713, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.