The subtle mellow flavor of leeks lingers in the background of this creamy chowder chockfull of shrimp, clams, potatoes, and corn.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake bread according to package directions.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over high heat. Add leeks; reduce heat to medium-high; cook, stirring, until very soft but not browned, 6 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and their seasoning packet to saucepan; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add clam juice and juice from can of clams. Stir in corn kernels and half-and-half. Bring to a bare simmer.
4. Meanwhile, whisk milk and cornstarch in small cup. Once soup is barely simmering, stir in milk mixture, chopped clams and shrimp; simmer until shrimp are white throughout and chowder thickens slightly, 3 minutes. Stir in parsley, black pepper and pepper sauce, if using. Serve with bread.Note:
5. Look in refrigerator section of your supermarket for the potatoes. You can substitute 1 pound potatoes, peeled, cubed, parboiled and seasoned with salt and pepper.Note:
6. *To make sure you're express-lane bound, you'll only need to buy 9 items max, asterisked on the ingredient lists above. A serving of each recipe constitutes an entire meal; you don't need side dishes. Keep this in mind when evaluating the nutrition info provided.