Servings: 8 Prep 10 mins Slow Cook on HIGH for 5-1/2 hours or LOW for 7 hours Cook 2 mins
- 2 cups yellow split peas, rinsed and picked over
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice (optional)
1. Combine 5 cups water, peas, cloves and cinnamon stick in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
2. Remove the cloves and cinnamon stick. In a medium-size nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, turmeric, mustard seeds, coriander and cayenne to skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir the spice mixture into slow cooker and continue to cook another 2-1/2 hours on HIGH or 3 hours on LOW.
3. Carefully puree soup in batches. Just before serving, stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon ginger, the cream, salt and pepper and serve over rice, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 218, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): 16, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 30, fiber (g): 14, pro. (g): 11, sodium (mg): 590, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.