Servings: 4 Yield: about 4-3/4 cups Start to Finish 25 mins
- 2 medium zucchini (1 pound), sliced
- 1 small red or yellow onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cored and chopped (4 cups)
- 2 slices day-old Italian bread, crust removed and torn into small pieces (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Heat a charcoal or gas grill or a grill pan to medium-high. Brush zucchini and onion with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side until tender and nicely charred. Remove and let cool slightly. Place zucchini and onion in a blender or food processor with the tomatoes, bread, 1 tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, and garlic. Cover and blend until smooth, adding water if necessary to thin (blend in batches, if necessary). Transfer to a serving bowl.
2. Serve immediately or chill up to 2 hours before serving. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 162, Fat, total (g): 8, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 21, Monounsaturated fat (g): 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, fiber (g): 4, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 5, vit. A (IU): 1846, vit. C (mg): 44, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 93, sodium (mg): 254, Potassium (mg): 793, calcium (mg): 50, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.