Servings: 4 Prep 5 mins Cook 22 mins Broil 3 mins to 4 mins
- 4 large sweet onions (2 pounds) such as Oso, Maui, Walla-Walla or Vidalia
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Freshly grated black pepper or hot sauce to taste
- 4 slices French bread (1 inch thick), lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1. Cut onions in half, then thinly slice. In a large, deep pot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir to coat. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Add sugar and cook over high heat, uncovered, 6 more minutes or until onions are golden. Add wine and cook 1 minute. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 5 minutes.
2. Heat broiler. Place four 2-cup ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet. Divide soup among the bowls, stirring in pepper or hot sauce; top each with toasted bread. Sprinkle cheese over bread. Broil 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 336, Fat, total (g): 17, chol. (mg): 42, sat. fat (g): 9, carb. (g): 35, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 10, sodium (mg): 956, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.