- 2 pounds tomatoes, cored and chopped (4 cups)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled if desired, seeded, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 slices day-old Italian bread, crust removed and torn into small pieces (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 3/4 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined, and/or bay scallops
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Combine 2 cups tomato, and 1 cup cucumber, the onion, bread, 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup water in a blender or food processor; cover and blend or process until smooth (blend in batches, if necessary). Transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in remaining tomatoes and cucumber; set aside.
2. Put 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and/or scallops. Cook, stirring once or twice, until opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season lightly with freshly ground black pepper and add a squeeze of lemon juice, if you like. Serve the gazpacho topped with the seafood. Serve immediately or chill up to 2 hours before serving. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 244, Fat, total (g): 12, chol. (mg): 86, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 20, Monounsaturated fat (g): 8, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 7, pro. (g): 15, vit. A (IU): 1944, vit. C (mg): 31, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 69, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 330, Potassium (mg): 745, calcium (mg): 81, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.