Makes 4 servings at 81o each. Prep: 10 minutes. Cook: 15 minutes.
1. Heat broth in a saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, press garlic cloves with flat side of knife to soften. Leave them whole and unpeeled.
3. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook until browned, but not burned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
4. Transfer garlic from oil with slotted spoon to broth. Remove from heat. Set aside to steep for a few minutes.
5. Place bread in oil in skillet. Strain broth into skillet, discarding garlic. Bring broth to boiling. Lower heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.
6. If using, poach eggs in the simmering soup for 3 to 5 minutes.
7. To serve, divide the bread among 4 bowls. Pour in hot soup, and 1 egg in each bowl if using