1. Heat canola or vegetable oil in a heavy 5-quart pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, celery, carrots, and Baby Bam seasoning. Cook until all the vegetables are soft, about five minutes.
3. Add garlic; cook, stirring for two minutes.
4. Add chicken broth, water, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 35 minutes.
6. Add alphabet pasta and stir well. Simmer until pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes.
7. Remove from heat. Ladle one-cup portions into bowls, and serve.