Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds) OR: other boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 cup queso blanco (firmly packed fresh cheese) OR: crumbled farmers cheese OR: grated Muenster cheese (about 1/4 pound)
- 2 medium-size ripe avocados
- Snipped fresh chives or fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, paprika and turmeric; saute until onion is softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes. Lower heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
2. Break up potatoes into smaller pieces with a fork or wooden spoon. Stir in cream and corn; cook until heated through and corn is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in cheese and heat until melted, about 1 minute.
3. Halve, peel and pit avocados. Slice crosswise. Place avocado slices in soup bowls. Ladle soup over avocado slices. Garnish with chives or cilantro leaves, and serve.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 390, Fat, total (g): 24, chol. (mg): 57, sat. fat (g): 12, carb. (g): 39, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 10, sodium (mg): 657, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.