Yield: 10 cups Prep 20 mins Cook 45 mins
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; cook 5 minutes, until softened. Add broth, water, pumpkin, apple, ginger, salt, and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
2. Using a handheld blender, puree soup in pot, or puree in batches in a standing blender. (Soup may be prepared up to 2 days ahead to this point.) Whisk in cream. Reheat gently. Ladle into a soup tureen.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut top off a 5- to 6-pound pumpkin. Scrape out seeds and some pulp. Rinse inside with cold water; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Replace top and roast 45 minutes, until pumpkin is slightly softened. (Alternatively, microwave pumpkin on high for 20 minutes.)
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 182, Fat, total (g): 14, carb. (g): 13, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.