Servings: 6 Prep 10 mins Cook 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms (use one kind or several), sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup quick-cook barley
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Melt butter in medium-size saucepan. Add onion, mushrooms and carrots; cook 6 minutes. Add barley, broth and water. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
2. Meanwhile, combine milk, half-and-half, flour, salt and pepper in small bowl. Stir into saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil, stirring, for 1 minute or until thickened.
3. Puree 2 cups of soup in food processor. Stir back into soup in saucepan; gently heat through.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 232, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 37, carb. (g): 24, pro. (g): 8, sodium (mg): 626, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.