Servings: 4 Prep 10 mins Bake 400°F 10 mins Cook 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1/8-inch-wide strips
- Pinch chili powder
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth (5-3/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until softened, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, jalapeno, black pepper and cumin; simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, sprinkle tortilla strips with chili powder. Place on baking sheet.
4. Toast strips in 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until crispy.
5. Add broth to skillet; simmer 10 minutes. Ladle into 4 soup bowls. Sprinkle with tortilla strips, cheese and cilantro. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 221, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 11, carb. (g): 21, pro. (g): 5, sodium (mg): 934, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.