Servings: 8 Prep 20 mins Cook 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 2 pounds), most of stem removed and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 2 cans (14.75 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid hot-pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Additional unpeeled sliced or diced apple, for garnish (optional)
1. Melt butter in large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add onion; saute until softened, 2 minutes. Add apples, broccoli, chicken broth, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer until broccoli is tender, about 18 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and hot-pepper sauce. Let mixture cool slightly.
3. In batches, puree mixture in blender. Return to pan; reheat to simmering. Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Garnish with unpeeled apple slices or dice if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 119, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 14, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 13, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 3, sodium (mg): 604, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.