Servings: 4 to 6 Yield: 6-1/2 cups Prep 15 mins Cook 28 mins to 30 mins Cool 10 mins to 15 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and starting to brown. Add the squash, apple, and broth. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
2. Puree the soup, in batches if necessary, in a blender or food processor, or with an immersion blender. Season to taste with pepper and serve topped with whole grain croutons. Makes 4 to 6 servings (about 6-1/2 cups).
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 185, Fat, total (g): 4, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 35, Monounsaturated fat (g): 2, fiber (g): 6, sugar (g): 14, pro. (g): 6, vit. A (IU): 173, vit. C (mg): 36, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 52, sodium (mg): 531, Potassium (mg): 702, calcium (mg): 91, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.