1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced, 2 stalks celery, diced, and 1/2 of a medium onion, chopped. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin. Saute for 5 minutes until onions are tender. Add 1 medium chicken breast half, cubed, and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes each side or until no longer pink. Add 4 cups no-salt-added chicken broth; bring to boiling. Add 2 cups (6 ounces) whole grain rotini; cook, uncovered, for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Makes 6 cups.
2. Nutrition analysis per serving: 212 calories, 11 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 7 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 103% Vitamin A, 5% Vitamin C, 340 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 6% ironButternut Squash Soup:
3. Peel and seed a 2-pound butternut squash; cut into 1-inch cubes. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-hi heat. Add the squash and 2 tablespoons chopped onion. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 peeled, cored, chopped pear and 1 1/2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth. Reduce heat. Cover; cook for 15 minutes more or until squash and pear are tender. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender (half at a time, if necessary). Cover and blend until smooth. Season with 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. (Or, to roast, halve a 2-pound butternut squash; scoop out seeds. Place, cut sides down, in an oiled roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, in a 400 degrees F. oven for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, peel, halve, and core a medium pear. Place, cut sides down, next to squash in pan. Roast 15 minutes more or until tender. Scoop pulp from the squash peel. Cook 2 tablespoons chopped onion in 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium saucepan until tender. Place squash pulp, pear, and onion in a blender. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth. Cover and blend until smooth and creamy. Return to the saucepan and heat through. Season with 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.) Makes 4 cups.
4. Nutrition analysis per serving: 164 calories, 3 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 372% Vitamin A, 65% Vitamin C, 355 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 8% ironTomato Alphabet Soup:
5. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic, minced. Saute for 5 minutes until onions are tender. Add 2 medium tomatoes, chopped, 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in 3 cups no-salt-added chicken broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 of a whole wheat pita bread round. Transfer to a blender (half at a time, if necessary). Cover and blend until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cooked alphabet pasta. Return to the saucepan and heat through. Makes 5 cups.
6. Nutrition analysis per serving: 127 calories, 6 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 12% Vitamin A, 18% Vitamin C, 213 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 4% ironChili:
7. Brown 1/2 pound ground turkey breast in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin. Stir in 2 medium tomatoes, chopped, and 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
8. Nutrition analysis per serving: 192 calories, 30g protein, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 10g total sugar, 41% Vitamin A, 52% Vitamin C, 618 mg sodium, 34mg calcium, 2mg ironStrawberry Fruit Soup:
9. In a blender combine 1 1/2 cups hulled strawberries, 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk or milk, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Cover and blend until smooth. If desired, pack a few sliced strawberries separately and add to top of soup. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
10. Nutrition analysis per serving: 108 calories, 7 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 17 g total sugar, 0% Vitamin A, 110% Vitamin C, 39 mg sodium, 104 mg calcium, 1 mg iron