White Christmas: Festive Crafts and Treats
1. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in molasses, egg, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill dough about 3 hours or until easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8- to 1/4- inch thick. Using a 2-1/2- or 3 1/2-inch snowflake-shaped cookie cutter, cut into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Spread about 1 tablespoon frosting on the flat side (bottom) of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to make sandwiches.
4. Fill pastry bag fitted with a small round tip with Creamy white frosting. Pipe snowflake design atop cookies. Sprinkle immediately with coarse sugar.
1. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.