Servings: 8 Prep 10 mins Slow Cook 6 hrs on HIGH or LOW for 9 hours
- 1 beef brisket, about 3 pounds
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 hamburger rolls
- Pickles and coleslaw (optional)
1. Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Season brisket with paprika, salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker. Scatter onion and garlic over brisket. Combine tomatoes, broth, vinegar and sugar. Pour over brisket.
3. Cover and cook on High for 6 hours or LOW for 9 hours.
4. Remove meat from slow cooker and cool slightly. Slice or shred and stir into sauce.
5. Remove brisket with a slotted spoon and serve on rolls, with pickles and coleslaw, if desired.
Variation Texas-Style Chili
- To make this classic, replace smoked paprika with regular paprika and stewed tomatoes with fire-roasted diced tomatoes. Eliminate sugar and add 3 tablespoons chili powder and 1 chopped green pepper. Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired.
- For an Asian twist, eliminate paprika, salt, pepper and sugar. Add 1 tsp Chinese Five-Spice, 1 tablespoon each light soy sauce and hoisin. Replace cider vinegar with rice vinegar. Add 1 can diced water chestnuts and 2 chopped scallions during last 30 minutes of cook time. Serve over rice with extra chopped scallions.
- Try this Italian spin: Replace paprika with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, stewed tomatoes with 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces) Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes and cider vinegar with balsamic. Eliminate broth and sugar and add 2 sliced Italian frying peppers. Shred meat into sauce and serve with cooked pappardelle pasta; top with grated Parmesan.
- Replace smoked paprika with regular paprika. Eliminate vinegar and sugar. Add 1/2 tsp each dried oregano, thyme and sage. Stir in 1 package (10 ounces) thawed peas and carrots at end of cook time. Cool slightly; slice meat, stir back into slow cooker. Serve as a stew over mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 405, Fat, total (g): 10, chol. (mg): 73, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 36, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 44, sodium (mg): 892, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.