- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes (1 pound), cored, seeded and chooped
- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 zucchini and/or summer squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. In a small bowl whisk together the tomato paste, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
2. In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, sweet peppers, onion, and garlic. Pour the sauce mixture over and toss to combine. Cover and cook 2 to 3 hours on high or 4 to 6 hours on low, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring once halfway through cooking.
3. Stir in the basil. Turn off the slow cooker, pull out the insert (if it comes out), and remove the lid. Let stand 20 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 14; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 50, Fat, total (g): 2, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 7, Monounsaturated fat (g): 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 4, pro. (g): 1, vit. A (IU): 696, vit. C (mg): 47, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 28, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 116, Potassium (mg): 316, calcium (mg): 19, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.