Prep 25 mins Total Time 4 hrs 25 mins
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 14 ounce can lentils, drained
- 1 7 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 4 soft hamburger buns, preferably whole-grain
- 2 ounces shredded Colby Jack cheese
1. Coat a medium heavy skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Crumble in the beef and cook, stirring often until the beef is broken up and mostly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the onion, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt and cook, stirring until the beef is no longer pink and the spices are fragrant, 1 to 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the flour over the meat mixture. Stir to combine.
2. In the insert of a slow cooker whisk together the tomato puree, brown sugar, and vinegar. Stir in the beef mixture, lentils and chilies. Cover the slow cooker, and cook for two hours on the high setting. Serve the saucy meat on buns topped with cheese.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 490, Fat, total (g): 13, sat. fat (g): 5, carb. (g): 64, fiber (g): 15, sugar (g): 16, pro. (g): 30, sodium (mg): 803, calcium (mg): 207, iron (mg): 8, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.