Prep 15 mins Slow Cook 6 hrs to 8 hrs
- 2 pounds boneless country pork ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. Coat slow-cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Season pork with chili powder, oregano, cumin and 1/2 tsp of the salt. Place in slow cooker; add onion, garlic, sweet potatoes and green pepper, in that order. Pour broth over top.
2. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
3. Add remaining 1/2 tsp salt 45 minutes before end of cooking time; drop cornbread batter (see below) in heaping tbsp on top. If cooking on LOW, add 15 minutes.
4. Cornbread: In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in milk until just moistened; fold in cilantro.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 472, Fat, total (g): 17, chol. (mg): 109, sat. fat (g): 7, carb. (g): 43, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 34, sodium (mg): 796, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.