Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 13 mins
- 3/4 pound soy breakfast sausage patties, chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 pound cavatappi
- Grated Asiago cheese (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine sausage, bread crumbs, milk and Italian seasoning. Form into 36 meatballs.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a simmer.
3. Add meatballs to sauce. Cook, covered, on medium-low for 5 minutes. Turn meatballs and cook an additional 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cook cavatappi as per package directions, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
4. Spoon meatballs and sauce plus reserved pasta water over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Serve with Radicchio and Shaved Fennel, if desired.
Tip Radicchio and Shaved Fennel
- Combine 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss with 1 head sliced radicchio and 1 bulb thinly sliced fennel. Top with shaved Parmesan.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 472, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 77, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 25, sodium (mg): 623, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.