Servings: 4 Yield: 4 servings, plus leftover beef Prep 25 mins Total Time 3 hrs
- 3 1/2 - 4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unsalted beef stock or broth
- 2 large shallots, quartered
- 1 pound small red potatoes, halved
- 1 pound carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut beef in half. Heat oil in a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook 4 minutes per side or until browned. Remove beef from Dutch oven. Add the stock to the hot pot. Cook and stir to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the shallots. Return the beef to the pot, placing beef on top of the shallots. Top with the potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Cover and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
3. To serve, slice one half of the meat and serve with the vegetables. If desired, drizzle some of the cooking liquid over the meat and vegetables.
4. Allow remaining half of beef to cool, then cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Freeze in an airtight container to use later in Savory Beef Potpie.
- If desired, tie the roast with 100%-cotton string to hold the roast in a compact log shape.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 396, Fat, total (g): 14, chol. (mg): 112, sat. fat (g): 5, carb. (g): 32, Monounsaturated fat (g): 6, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 3, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 6, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 38, vit. A (IU): 18964, vit. C (mg): 18, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 10, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 54, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 5, sodium (mg): 583, Potassium (mg): 1529, calcium (mg): 87, iron (mg): 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.