1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden. Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, sugar, oregano, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer, with lid ajar, for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
2. Spoon half the sauce, about 3 1/2 cups, into a container and cool. Cover and refrigerate for Baked Penne on Wednesday.
3. Stir shrimp and peas into remaining sauce. Cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, cook penne following package directions. Cool half the penne, about 6 cups, and place in a plastic resealable bag. Refrigerate for Baked Penne.
5. To serve, toss remaining penne with shrimp sauce and, if desired, basil. Serve with Sauteed Broccoli Rabe, if desired (recipe below).