Yield: 6 servings plus leftovers Active Time 25 mins Total Time 25 mins
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 bell peppers, cored and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 pounds shrimp, fresh or thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1 lime, juiced
- 12 - 15 small tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Sour cream
1. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 Tbs. olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced onion, 1/2 tsp. salt, cumin, and chili powder; saute until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and another 1/2 tsp. salt; saute 5 to 8 more minutes or until peppers are soft. Transfer peppers and onions to a large bowl.
2. Return the skillet to heat and add remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil. Add the shrimp, toss to coat, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover, stirring halfway through, until shrimp are cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Add lime juice and stir, then stir in peppers and onions to warm through. Serve with warm tortillas, avocado slices, and sour cream.
Tip Then Try...
- Orzo Pasta Salad With Shrimp
Mix 1 cup cooled shrimp-and-bell- pepper mixture with 1 cup cooked orzo and 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese for an individual pasta-salad serving.
- Shrimp and Bell Pepper Frittata
Stir together 2 cups diced cooled shrimp-and-bell-pepper mixture with 6 eggs and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Pour into a greased baking dish and bake 25 to 28 minutes at 375 degrees F. Slice and serve alongside greens.
- Chilled Peanut Noodles With Shrimp
Top rice noodles with shrimp-and-bell-pepper mixture, chopped peanuts, soy sauce, and cilantro.
- Prep peppers and onions up to three days ahead and store in an airtight container till dinner.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 335, Fat, total (g): 16, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 32, fiber (g): 8, sugar (g): 6, pro. (g): 19, sodium (mg): 408, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.