Smoking with mesquite wood chips gives a tantalizing outdoor taste to the salmon. But the lemon-and-dill-rubbed fish is equally splendid baked indoors.
1. Soak wood chips following package directions, at least 1 hour.Green Mayonnaise:
2. In food processor, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, chives and salt. Pulse until blended. Scrape into bowl; cover and refrigerate.
3. Drain soaked wood chips; place in small foil pan. Prepare outdoor grill with hot coals arranged for indirect grilling, placing foil pan with chips in corner of grill and over direct heat. Or heat gas grill for indirect grilling with foil pan. Grill is ready when chips begin to smoke, about 5 minutes.Salmon:
4. In small bowl, combine lemon rind, dill, salt and pepper. Brush salmon with oil; rub lemon-dill mixture over salmon. Oil grill or place salmon in fish basket.
5. Grill salmon over indirect heat, covered, 30 minutes. Serve with Green Mayonnaise. Makes 8 servings.