1. Bring water to boil in heavy stainless-steel saucepan. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal, salt and pepper, whisking continuously for about 5 minutes.
2. Spread oil in 8 x 8-inch baking dish to coat and spread cooked cornmeal into it. Let cool. Cut into 6 strips, then cut each strip crosswise in half. Set aside.Chaka Laka:
3. In heavy stainless-steel pot, heat oil; add onions and cook over medium-high heat until they color lightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garam masala and cook another minute. Add tomatoes, jalapeno, sugar and salt; cook about 5 minutes. Mix well. Set aside.To serve:
4. Heat butter in large nonstick skillet. Add cornmeal pieces and cook over medium-high heat on both sides until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Add scallops to same pan; cook over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn; cook another 2 minutes.
5. Divide Chaka Laka among 6 warm plates; sprinkle with the chopped cilantro. Divide scallops on top. Serve with Crisp Cornmeal. Makes 6 servings.Note:
6. Garam masala is available from McCormick, 800-632-5847 or www.mccormick.com.