Servings: 8 Prep 25 mins Cook 30 mins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground dried arbol chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow sweet pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 3 medium fresh jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup shrimp stock OR: clam juice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled shrimp
1. Combine seasoning mix ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat a heavy 5-quart pot over high heat. Add the butter, sweet peppers, onion, celery, garlic, fresh ginger, jalapeno pepper and seasoning mix; cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pot frequently, until vegetables are wilted and browned and mixture is starting to stick to bottom of pot, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste. Reduce the heat; cook, stirring, until well blended. Stir in the stock, scraping the bottom with wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Add the tomatoes; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
4. Add the shrimp. Gently heat just to boiling. Reduce the heat to medium; simmer just until the shrimp are opaque and plump, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve hot over cooked rice or noodles. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 206, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 137, carb. (g): 21, pro. (g): 16, sodium (mg): 977, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.