Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 32 mins
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 head escarole (about 1 pound), trimmed, chopped and rinsed
- 48 ounces light, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Heat a large pot (not nonstick) over medium-high heat. Crumble in sausage. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes, until browned, breaking apart large pieces with a wooden spoon. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and carrots. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes and escarole. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
3. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to retain simmer; cook 20 minutes. Return sausage to pot along with drained beans. Heat through. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 204, Fat, total (g): 8, chol. (mg): 16, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 19, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 13, sodium (mg): 991, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.