- 6 ounces dried whole grain penne pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked sweet Italian Turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup weekend-prepped caramelized onions
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup weekend-prepped toasted breadcrumbs
1. Cook pasta according to package directions in lightly salted boiling water. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
2. In a large skillet brown the sausage in hot oil over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat as it cooks. Add the asparagus and 1/2 cup cooking water. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the cooked pasta, caramelized onions, half and half, and Parmesan. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with pepper. Serve topped with the breadcrumbs.
1. Thinly slice the onions. In a large skillet cook onions in 2 Tbs. olive oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Refrigerate.
- 1 12 ounce loaf baguette-style French bread
1. Place half of the baguette in a food processor. Cover and pulse to create coarse crumbs. In a large skillet, toast crumbs in 2 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until golden and crisp, 5 minutes. Cool, and transfer to an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 499, Fat, total (g): 20, chol. (mg): 53, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 57, Monounsaturated fat (g): 8, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 8, sugar (g): 11, pro. (g): 26, vit. A (IU): 898, vit. C (mg): 17, Thiamin (mg): 1, Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 196, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 674, Potassium (mg): 451, calcium (mg): 198, iron (mg): 6, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.