- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) sliced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
1. Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. If vegetables begin to brown or stick, add 2 tablespoons water.
2. Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, oregano, salt, basil, thyme, bay leaf and water; simmer over medium heat for 1 to 2 hours or until sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
3. Remove bay leaf. Serve sauce over hot spaghetti. Makes fourteen 1/2-cup servings.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 47, Fat, total (g): 1, chol. (mg): , carb. (g): 9, pro. (g): 2, sodium (mg): 320, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.