Servings: 12 Yield: 2 Quarts (12 Servings) Prep 20 mins Cook 38 mins
- 2 1 quart canning jars
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Italian frying peppers, trimmed, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 pound Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) fire-roasted whole tomatoes, broken up
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, torn into bite-size pieces
1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add peppers and mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are almost tender.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, salt, oregano, sugar and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and stir in vinegar and basil.
3. Spoon sauce into two 1-quart canning jars. Cool on wire rack. Seal and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
4. Arrange in a basket with a package of dried pasta and a wedge of Parmesan, if desired. Makes 2 Quarts (12 servings).
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 93, Fat, total (g): 3, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 16, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 4, sodium (mg): 608, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.