1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place roast on work surface; trim any excess fat.
2. Combine seasoned salt, herbs de Provence, cumin seeds, garlic powder and pepper. Rub all over roast.
3. In ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides, about 3 minutes. Add onions and wine; remove from heat. Cover with foil.
4. Place skillet in 350 degree oven. Roast until fork-tender, about 2 hours. Carefully remove skillet from oven. Let stand, covered, 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, trim asparagus. Heat skillet with 1/2 inch water over medium-high heat to bare simmer. Add asparagus; cook until fork-tender, 4 minutes. Drain asparagus; keep warm.
6. Uncover roast. Transfer to serving platter. Strain onion solids from roasting pan over a bowl. Transfer solids to food processor. Puree. Skim as much fat as possible from pan drippings. Stir in pureed onion solids. Serve roast sliced with asparagus and gravy. Makes 6 servings.