Yield: 8 to 10 sandwiches Prep 25 mins Slow Cook 8 hrs to 10 hrs on low-heat setting or 4 to 5 hours on high-heat setting
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 3 - 4 pound beef chuck roast
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 32 ounce box (4 cups) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8 ounce package reduced-fat shredded Swiss cheese (2 cups)
- 8 - 10 whole grain hoagie rolls, split
1. Place onion slices in the bottom of a 5-to 6-quart slow cooker; set aside.
2. Sprinkle roast on all sides with pepper. In a large skillet, brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Remove from skillet and add to slow cooker on top of the onions. Pour broth and Worcestershire sauce over roast.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove meat from cooker; cool slightly. Use 2 forks to shred beef.
4. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle split rolls with cheese. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with shredded beef and some of the onions from the cooker. Serve with a small bowl of cooking liquid for dipping.
Tip For Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 626, Fat, total (g): 31, chol. (mg): 104, sat. fat (g): 12, carb. (g): 44, Monounsaturated fat (g): 11, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 7, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 45, vit. A (IU): 194, vit. C (mg): 3, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): 1, Niacin (mg): 12, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 40, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 2, sodium (mg): 687, Potassium (mg): 466, calcium (mg): 394, iron (mg): 4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.