Servings: 8 Prep 25 mins Chill 2 hrs Cook 15 mins Stand 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 1/2 cups canned vegetable broth (from 14 -1/2-ounce can)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups frozen baby lima beans
- 2 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mixed dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- Assorted lettuce leaves, for serving
1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or casserole over medium heat. Add the onion; cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
2. Add the red pepper, barley, broth, marjoram, thyme, lima beans, carrots and mushrooms. Bring just to boiling over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover Dutch oven; simmer for 10 minutes or until the barley is cooked and the peppers and carrots are tender-crisp.
3. Remove Dutch oven from heat. Stir in dried fruit and salt. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a large bowl and refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours or until well chilled.
4. Whisk together the apple juice, vinegar, honey and hot-pepper sauce in a small bowl to make the dressing. Add dressing to the barley mixture, tossing to coat. Serve the salad on assorted lettuce leaves. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 246, Fat, total (g): 3, chol. (mg): , carb. (g): 52, pro. (g): 7, sodium (mg): 520, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.