Servings: 4 Prep 15 mins Marinate overnight Cook 50 mins
- 1 cup wheat berries (whole-grain wheat)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces and cooked
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled, deveined and cooked
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
1. Soak wheat berries overnight in water. Drain; reserve soaking liquid. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt and enough cold water to liquid to equal 3-1/2 cups. Bring to boiling in saucepan. Add wheat berries; simmer 50 minutes or until tender.
2. For dressing, combine oil, vinegar, mustard, thyme, garlic, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a jar.
3. Combine wheat berries, asparagus, shrimp, red pepper in large bowl. Shake dressing; pour over mixture; toss to mix well. Refrigerate for several hours. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 371, Fat, total (g): 15, chol. (mg): 121, carb. (g): 41, pro. (g): 22, sodium (mg): 730, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.