Yield: 8 cups Prep 30 mins Cook 10 mins
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (19 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 - 8 drops hot-pepper sauce, or to taste
1. Bring 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in barley and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and let stand 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, parsley, and shallots. Add cooked barley and toss. In small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper, and hot-pepper sauce. Pour over salad and toss until thoroughly combined.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 86, Fat, total (g): 4, carb. (g): 11, fiber (g): 2, pro. (g): 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.