Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 25 mins
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup French lentils* (or brown lentils), picked over and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Red Delicious apple, unpeeled, cored, and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, diced
- 1/3 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- Apples and pecans for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, bring broth, water, and garlic to a boil. Add lentils and rice, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add carrots and continue cooking, covered, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar. Add apple, onions, and parsley. Add lentil mixture, tossing to coat. Gently fold in cheese and pecans.
3. Divide spinach among four serving plates and spoon the salad on top. Garnish with apple slices and pecans.
- *Available at health-food stores.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 403, Fat, total (g): 16, carb. (g): 51, fiber (g): 8, pro. (g): 17, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.